Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chore Dice





Earlier in the week my Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) group made these and I wanted to share the idea with you.  We were given painted wooden cubes. I'm sure that you can find plain ones at a craft store and then paint them yourself. We then cut out pictures of different chores/activities. We used Modge Podge to attach the pictures which creates a cool glossy effect. My dice has a laundy folding icon which can also mean that my daughter needs to put her own clothes away, a picture of lunch which will mean that my daughter needs to assemble her lunch for school, a gardening icon which will mean that she can help pull weeds (she loves doing this!), a taking out the trash ion (we will need to work toward this one!), a vacuuming icon which I told her meant that if she makes a mess on the kitchen floor she can use my hand vacuum to clean it up, and an icon of dishes which will mean that she can help unload the dishwasher. You can have the child roll a chore, they can choose one off the cube, or you can place the cube somewhere for them to see what their chore is for the day or that morning. My daughter was thrilled when I picked her up from childcare during the meeting to see that I had made something for her. I'm looking forward to giving my daughter more responsibilies around the house. She already does a good job of keeping her room neat, putting away toys, and doing things that involve her, but I think it is important for her to do more things to help out the family. I want her to understand that we all work together as a family to make sure that things get done around our house and that mom isn't a maid. I would hate to have to apologize to her husband some day why she can't get it together in her own home!

No comments:

Post a Comment